Hey @helenlearns_ux and all! Chiming in here as co-founder/CEO of Designlab. Just wanted to offer some further information in response to Julia’s comment (and others) about our program on this thread.
Here’s how we approach mentorship:
- We vet all of our mentors thoroughly before they join the platform, looking for strong designers with demonstrated expertise (trydesignlab.com/mentors)
- We require mandatory onboarding before mentors get started
- We monitor student feedback and promptly respond to any sort of mentor issues
- We provide significant community support (and access to our range of mentors through our new Office Hours program — trydesignlab.com/office-hours) in addition to the 1-on-1 mentorship that’s core to the course experience
- We’re implementing detailed critique features within our platform that will allow students to directly coach their mentors on how to better meet student needs, during the course
- We’re working with industry experts from reputable design firms like Frog on expanding our mentor training even further
- We’re developing career advancement curriculum to propel designers from junior to senior to director level — meaning our mentors will also avail from this opportunity to continually improve
- We’ll be hiring some in-house instructors to augment our part-time mentorship model
Generally, as I’ve said elsewhere, we pride ourselves on being ultra responsive to students, and on continually improving the product, platform, and curriculum through rapid sprints on an ongoing basis. We have some very exciting plans through the end of this year and early next, and I think you’ll all be thrilled to see what’s in store.
If you have any questions about the course and our approach, whether it’s a fit, or you just want to talk about UX in general — give me a call on my cell at 408.802.2008 or email me: firstname.lastname@example.org, we’d love to chat. Thanks!