Design Research method for a multi-users system

The idea is to design a “Multi-Tenant” product that enables various types of users from various types of businesses to configure the UI to their needs (e.g. Salesforce).
I am interested in receiving information regarding the design research methodology for these kind of design tasks and to understand how (if at all) it differs from the known User Centered Design approach.
Example for some answers that I am looking for:

• There can be hundreds of types of personas. Is there a point to define various personas at all?
  • There can be endless types of design permutations that can be configured. What can be the recommended design analysis method that will conclude the optimum design framework?
    What are the design deliverables for these kind of projects? (a widget library? Recommended templates? Etc.)

Wow, it sounds like a very demanding product.
Did u perform market researchers (eg SWOT analysis, competitor benchmarks etc)?
If yes, sharing some insights will help us a lot to provide good answers to your questions.
If no, maybe before digging into the tech specs you should investigate how to shape your product to rock such market.

Just stumbled on this post: https://uxplanet.org/frameworks-for-designing-a-successful-startup-6c1f8fb35add

1 Like

One framework I found incredibly useful when working on a multi user system is the jobs to be done framework. In fact, it’s to the point where I’m a little obsessed and I have to wonder if I don’t just like saying it a lot!

Basically, as well as using personas to design empathetically, the starting point is focussing on how the users will actually do the tasks they need to do. I find combining the JTBD framework for the service design with the persona driven design for the lower level design elements really helpful.

It bears repeating, the JTBD framework is not the be all and end all. It doesn’t always work so you’ll need to experiment how you combine methodologies which probably means taking care with the analysis. However, as I said, I found it very useful when considering how to design for multiple personas/users.

Some interesting links:

http://innovatorstoolkit.com/content/technique-1-jobs-be-done

1 Like