Co-Creation and Participatory Design

I’ve been reading some lately about co-creation and participatory design being a great method for innovation. Co-creation is the practice of directly involving customers and end users in the design process — treating them as design partners rather than just consumers of your products and services.

If you have practiced or championed co-creation, what has been your experience with it? What was your biggest obstacle to selling a co-creation design process within your company?

1 Like

I’d love to hear from anyone that has experience here also. Sounds like it could be really valuable if done well.

1 Like

We do this at my job. We’ll involve clients as early as the lo-fi prototype stage and get their feedback.

It wasn’t very difficult to get buy-in on this at my business, as we have a limited number of clients (in the hundreds, I believe). It’s not difficult to gain buy-in for participatory design when it’s a high-value client driving feature development, and we want to make sure that we’re making a product that client (and others) will actually use.

2 Likes