Best resume service?

hello guys, do anyone know some good resume making service? I got one resume that looks currently pretty bad. I’m ready to pay of course :slight_smile:

Hi designo,

I understand that you want to make a good impression on potential employers, but I don’t think this is a good way to approach that. My first few resumes looked terrible! But design is an iterative process and I’ve evolved mine at least four times in the last two years since I started working full time. This is something that I will continue to do over the course of my career. I wouldn’t be a designer if I didn’t. Design is all about continues improvement and the process rather than the finished product.

You’re learning some awesome UX skills and those can be applied to just about anything - including your resume. Also, potential employers will look at it as a reflection of your capability and if you’ve paid someone else to do it, it’s not really you now is it? :slight_smile:

Here’s what I would do:

• give it to someone else who has never seen it and get them to give you feedback. I like to print it out and get them to red pen it.
  • take a good look at it yourself. Why do you think it’s ‘pretty bad’? Put yourself in the shoes of your future employer what would they think?
  • ask yourself; is it easy to follow? does it communicate clearly? Employers tend to look at resumes for about 30 - 60 seconds. Why? because they have a whole pile of them to get through, so they are skim reading. It needs to communicate how amazing you are at a glance.
  • follow the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid :slight_smile: If in doubt, use a clean simple sans serif font that is easy to read. Don’t use fancy fonts and colours - it’s distracting and annoying. Don’t cram your text in either - let the page breathe.

I hope this helps you :slight_smile:

In terms of basic styles, for years I just used one of the templates in Microsoft Word and it served its purpose just fine. It’s really about the content.

You also may consider downloading Patrick Neeman’s UX resume template. We bundle a version of that with our ebook, and heartily endorse the approach he takes.