A portfolio by newbie ui designer, experienced logo designer

So, after years not designing any webpage, i noticed i missed it a lot and thanks to so many new platforms, the thing i didn’t like at all about web design, coding, i returned to it. While i doing that i wanted to try app ui design too and i loved it.

So here my experimental portfolio:

http://ididthis.design/

Last 12-13 design is ui based, rest of it logo based. So can you guys please give me feedback about these designs.

Ps: app designs are not grid based. I will incorporate grid to my designs from now on. First i wanted to get the feel of app ui design.

Welp, noticed now… I didn’t pick username and it gave me random one.

Hey there,
Welcome. :slight_smile:

I’d love to help out with feedback but I’m used to reviewing UX portfolios, which are all about documenting process. I’m not sure that applies in your case. What kind of feedback are you hoping for?

It defaults to the email address that you used. You can change it here.

1 Like

Thanks @HAWK ,

I know it is a ux based community but, i started from ui to ux. I created four phase for me to learn ui/ux design. First, without grids etc. like details creating ui designs. Second, adding grid based designs with focus on details. Third, animating my designs to start understand ux. Last, focusing main on ux.

These designs were result of phase one. But if necessary i can animate them to show the ux part.

Short version, are these designs good ui designs? What are the problems on these ones? Ux wise, what kind have problems.(I know it has a lot of problems)

FWIW, I’m assuming you’re speaking of the last 18 entries to your Dribbble page.

I want to start off by saying that I think your designs are insanely eye-catching. Definite kudos there, that’s very hard to do.

The thing to keep in-mind about UX is that it is, as @HAWK pointed out, a very process-driven, problem-solving discipline. Your designs are striking, to be sure, but without knowing what problems you’re attempting to solve or business use cases for each product, it’d be hard to say that any of them are “good” designs.

This is part of what makes a UX portfolio so hard to evaluate: most people are not good at describing the process, challenges, and compromises that go into creating any design. Visuals simply aren’t enough to get the job done. Timothy Jaeger makes an excellent point of this in his article on UX portfolio content, and recommends focusing on the following questions for each project:

What were the business challenges?

This could be something as simple as a sentence or two that indicates what problem you were solving.

What was your approach?

Surely you evaluated / tried things and settled on a solution…Note these down as well as the decision-making that went into how you came to your conclusions.

What was that process like?

What were the lessons learned? What compromises were made and how did these effect the final product?

What was the result?

When did you say ‘finished’? Was it when you handed the work off to the client or is it every two weeks when you track user engagement with your new app or game?

How did you measure success / failure?

Surely not everything you work on is a smashing success. What did you use to evaluate the results of your labor? How does your boss, or bosses’ boss, know that what you worked on turned out to be a success for the company? How is it measured? Is there a percentage increase that is important to the business?

I’d think your portfolio could be improved by seeking to answer these questions for your designs.

As far as general UX “sins” in the designs, a couple of things jump out to me offhand:

Using placeholder text in form fields. Empty form fields are easier to spot without placeholder text, which actually has a negative effect on form filling and task completion. Best practice is labeling above help text above input. Placeholders in Form Fields Are Harmful

ALL CAPS EVERYWHERE. I get that, from a visual perspective, writing in all caps makes everything nice and blocky, which helps with overall contrast and placeholding. The problem is that humans recognize words by their shapes, not necessarily their spelling. All caps (and Title Casing, for that matter) throw this off. I know it’s a hard change, but in most cases it’s more UX-friendly to use sentence casing. Word recognition - Wikipedia

Accessibility Issues. Your designs are colors are very striking, but put yourself in the shoes of someone who’s colorblind. It would be hard for a user to pick out the color used for interactivity, for instance, in many of your designs. There are also concerns about text sizing, visual focus on text fields, and contrast that are hard to tell for certain with this level of prototyping. 7 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about Accessibility | by Jesse Hausler | Salesforce Design | Medium

I hope this all helps-- let me know if I can answer any questions!

3 Likes

That was extremely helpful @dougcollins. Is making the animated versions can show my ux intensions or should i add as a text?

1 Like

Being a visual designer by trade, your gut instinct will always be to show rather than tell. I’d challenge you to write things out in a style that clearly communicates your intention, regardless of whether or not you choose to provide animated prototypes. It’s great professional development practice.

Thank you again Doug. I will start practicing with these in mind.

1 Like

Always happy to help! Let me know if I can do anything else :slight_smile:

Also, I’m sure other members of the community have other insights here. It’ll be interesting to see what else the group comes up with.

2 Likes