5 UX Design Principles That Never Go Out of Style

This article is a quick read. I really like No 1: Give Trends Time to Prove Their Worth

What would you guys add to this list?

5 Likes

Oooh! That’s some good stuff!

Lots of thoughts incoming.

First of all, I am hard striking Principle #2: ‘Remember the Fundamental UX Principles’ from this conversation. I think that it’s silly to include “UX Principles” as one of “The 5 UX Principles That Never Go Out of Style.” :stuck_out_tongue:

Next, to answer @HAWK’s question, I would include ‘Involve Everyone’ as an essential principle. When designing a product for a group or company, consider how the involvement of your engineers, customer support, designers on other projects, and project leaders may affect your project.

Now, I have a question of my own that needs to be introduced - The line, “The more innovative a product is, the more guidance the user will need.” popped up under the 3rd principle. Yet, I have seen a specific interesting and new product in my time that had a very soft tutorial for new users - ‘Super Metriod’, a video game from 1994 for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). This game never uses text nor obvious highlights to instruct the player on how to start playing the game, yet ‘Super Metroid’ is the game that propelled the ‘Metroid’ brand’s success forward to its popularity today.
I would love to study more on exploring minimal onboarding. So, my question is: Does anyone have an example of a successful or unsuccessful product with minimal amounts of an onboarding experience?

1 Like

Ha! Agreed.

And I love your addition.

With regard to your question – this is something that I’ve currently been working on a bit. Our product (which you are currently using) has a relatively new onboarding feature. It wouldn’t have been around when you signed up.

You can demo it by signing up for an account at try.discourse.org (that database is overwritten every night so it’s a temp account).

You can also summon him here but tagging @discobot

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

See!

2 Likes

Oh hello @discobot!

Actually, I’ve met discobot before - I saw that intro message when you sign up in the demo around when I first signed up.

Discobot is not the ‘minimal onboarding experience’ I was looking for. Discobots onboarding seems to go as follows: once the user signs up, they are pointed to click on their icon picture, and then discobot gives them a set of instructions to accomplish.

So you can see the kind of tutorial I’m thinking of, here is the link to the video that reviewed Super Metroid’s tutorial.

I recommend enduring the speaker’s obnoxious method of video editing and
I recommend skipping to 1m 0s of the video (you don’t want to see his brand’s intro).

2 Likes

@BraydnDegraw
I have never heard of this channel - The Game Theorists - Thank You Sir for that link!

I have always thought that one of the best examples of seamless UX/UI in games was Dead Space.
How wrong I was!

2 Likes

Adam sees! Adam understands! Huzzah!!!

:smiley: <(well I feel awesome and accomplished now)

So, Adam (and everyone else), a disclaimer: If you want useful YouTube channel recommendations on Game Design from me, I will never recommend The Game Theorists’s current stuff. The video I linked has awesome content, yet I have since unsubscribed from The Game Theorists. Instead, I will turn your attention to: No Clip, TotalBiscuit, the Cynical Brit, Snowman Gaming, Extra Credits, Mark Brown, Super Bunny Hop, and GDC (which stands for ‘Game Design Conference’ that’s held every year in California).

(Note: Expect a video to play when you click on any of these links. Each one is a recommended video from me that I gathered from the corresponding YouTube Channel.)

(Another note: Watch out for loud noises from a couple of them.)

2 Likes

Now, @adampogorzelski_work, did you read ‘5 UX Design Principles That Never Go Out of Style’? And, if you did, what were your thoughts on it?

And, like @HAWK asked, do you have anything that you would add to the list?

1 Like